Every year, beautiful destinations become a hub for yachts, parties and events. Yacht shows are at the heart of the Yachting Industry, making them indispensable to attend. In September, the South of France hosts two of the most popular yachting events in the world, The Cannes Yachting Festival and the Monaco Yacht Show.
Here is everything you need to know about both events, as well as what sets them apart from each other.
The Cannes Yachting Festival
The Cannes Boat Show, also known as the Cannes Yachting Festival was founded in 1977. It is an annual event that takes place every September, classifying itself as the ‘world’s most eclectic exhibition’. The Festival displays boats ranging anywhere between 5 to 45 metres, these include sail, motor, monohull or multihull, hard or semi-rigid hull. The Festival showcases over 500 motor yachts and 120 new sail yachts between 10 – 28 metres.
This year, the layout of the show has changed.
- All 120 sailing yachts are now displayed in Port Canto.
- The motorboats will fill the spaces vacated at the original Vieux Port location.
- The brokerage sector stayed at Port Canto as usual.
- The two sites are linked by regular sea and bus shuttle services – visitors simply need to present their show tickets to access these free services.
Unlike other shows, visitors have the opportunity to experience onboard sessions and a rare opportunity to engage in sea trials throughout the duration of the event.
The Monaco Yacht Show
The Monaco Yacht Show is an annual international show dedicated to the world of superyachts. Founded in 1991, the show lasts 4 days and is hosted in late September in Port Hercules of Monaco.
The Show is divided into two main exhibition areas: afloat and on the quayside.
- Afloat, there are over 100 superyachts and over 50 luxury tenders displayed by the most renowned builders and brokers in the market.
- Quayside, you will find 450 hand-picked companies, representing excellence and innovation in yachting. These companies range from designers and naval architects to yacht suppliers and service providers.
In recent years, the show has extended its exhibition offerings to the ultra-high-end markets, showcasing luxury products, cars & motorcycles to helicopters and private jet manufacturers.
The Yacht Show showcases yachts ranging from 50 to over 100 metres in length.
How does the Cannes Yachting Festival differ from the Monaco Yacht Show?
The Cannes Yachting Festival and the Monaco Yacht Show are two of the most exclusive events in the superyacht world, making the French Riviera a very exciting place to be in September. Whether you’re looking to buy, sell, or charter a yacht, or you just want to see some of the finest superyachts, supercars and toys on earth, these are the events to attend.
As mentioned above, it is quite clear, both shows focus on different sizes. The Cannes event showcases yachts no larger than 45 metres and with this, will likely display a lot more boats than at the MYS. Oppositely, the MYS showcases yachts no smaller than 50 metres.
Some companies, yacht brokers and yacht owners make sure to announce the display of their yachts at both events. The Monaco Yacht Show usually lasts for fewer days than the Cannes Yachting Festival.